Thursday, April 11, 2013

More Bang from a Broker

Who wants to pay money if they don’t have to? When we find special deals on our own or avoid extra fees, we're a wise consumer, a smart shopper. Sometimes there are other costs…

If you aren't already aware of all that Smarti does as a marketing consultancy, you may not realize that a big part of our business is working as a broker connecting businesses with marketing agencies that meet their specific requirements. I've helped hundreds of business find the right marketing partner. The usual reaction is "Wow! Why haven't we done it this way before?"

As you might guess, some of these businesses didn't come to Smarti first because they wanted to avoid a small setup investment. They tried to "do it themselves," devoting resources and money into a search that often left them wholly dissatisfied with the results. That's when they came to Smarti.

I've found myself in that same position recently as I went off on my own to locate a new apartment for my family. It couldn't have been simpler. I wanted something pre-war with 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms on a tree-lined street with private outdoor space. Added to that, I was looking for something that didn't have a cookie-cutter sterility. I wanted interesting layouts and character - a certain "vibe."

As a longtime New Yorker, I was certain I could get the best deal for my money. I canvassed Manhattan neighborhoods, worked my way into buildings and contacted management companies directly. Internet searches provided prospects that even included no-fee rentals. Was I a savvy shopper, or what?

Well, not everything you read on the Internet is true. The ads were designed to lure in the unwary with nice images and scant details. A little due diligence and in person visits revealed that they didn't resemble the advertisements at all.

After wasting a lot of time and energy on apartments that were disappointing, I reluctantly got in touch with some brokers and found the fees were actually more reasonable than I thought. I came to realize they had access to many more options than what I had discovered on my own. They knew about condos and coops. They were in the know about "exclusives" and properties that weren't publicly listed yet. There's no way I could have known the market the way they did.

Happily, a broker found us a beautiful duplex townhouse on the Upper West Side with just about everything on my wish list. It has tons of character and importantly, just the right "vibe." It was within our budget—less than most of the apartments we looked at on our own—and we still wound up saving money after the broker fee.

My experience as a DYI'er reinforced my insights into the mindset of my clients. Full of confidence in their ability to select a marketing firm, they decide to avoid that initial fee by searching for a marketing partner among the firms with which they're already familiar or browse websites of firms whose impressive credentials may exist only on the Internet. After all that work, do they really know what’s behind the curtain?

To get the best marketing company for your situation, you have to go beyond the basic criteria and understand the critical intangibles that can only be known first-hand.
The right broker can add tremendous value, which I learned personally in a market that I only thought I understood.

That's why clients come to appreciate the experience, time, effort and detailed understanding of the marketing landscape that Smarti provides as a broker. It's rewarding to provide such a valuable service. In the marketing world, Smarti knows the game, the names and the claims to fame. You want to maximize your resources, save effort, time and money? Wise up and get Smarti ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment